Request a Journal Article Request a Book
The materials unavailable at the library can be obtained from other libraries through interlibrary loan service. This service is available only
to Lutheran HealthCare staff. ILL service is free
to our patrons
but not to the library. That is the main reason why we limited number of requests up to 10 per person per month.
You may submit your request electronically (see links below
) or fill out a form available at the Circulation Desk .
Generally, the following materials may be ordered:
• Photocopies of book chapters
• Photocopies of journal articles
Under current copyright law, we cannot request or copy:
• articles longer than 50 pages
• articles that comprise the entirety of an issues, or
• more than three articles from a single issue
• entire volumes of periodicals
Additionally, most libraries will not loan:
• Rare materials such as rare editions or manuscripts
• Entire issues of periodicals
• Audio-visual materials
• Reference or other non-circulating materials
• Very new items or those in high demand at the lending library
How long will it take? Usually the library staff sends a request on the same day it is left at the library. Most of this process depends on whatever library that has the item you need. The average turnaround time is 3-10 days when we receive the article by mail. Many medical libraries will NOT honor RUSH or FAX requests unless it is a patient care situation. Supplying a compete citation and its source will help to ensure a quick response.
PubMed references with the PMID can be processed more quickly.
If you have additional questions send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
, call 718-630-7200, or come by the Library and the staff will gladly assist you.