Celebrating America’s Health Centers: Transforming Health Care in Our Local Communiti
July 12, 2013, Brooklyn, NY…
August 11 to 17 marks National Health Center Week and this year's theme is "Celebrating America's Health Centers: Transforming Health Care in Our Local Communities." Lutheran will be commemorating National Health Center Week with a number of health fairs as well as fun and informational events for patients and staff alike. The following health fair celebrations will be held:
– Medical Home Health Fair, hosted by Sunset Park FHC, Lutheran Lane (55th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues), 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., featuring screenings for dental, blood pressure, glucose, BMI, HIV testing and counseling, visual field, and self-breast exams, including information on WIC, PCAP, and wellness. Advocacy voter registration will be available. Activities include: Medical Home skit, music, giveaways (while supplies last). The following community based organizations will be attending:
o Young Dancers in Repertory’s Center for Dance Studies
- Registration for afterschool and summer dance classes.
o Hunger Solutions New York’s Nutritional Outreach and Education Program
- Information on menu planning, food preparation, food budgeting, feeding children, food shopping, food safety, nutrition and fitness.
o Upromise/New York’s 529 College Savings Program
- Financial assistance for higher education.
- Information on fire safety.
o LFHC Community Medicine Program
– Information on homeless health care.
– Medical Home Health Fair, hosted by Park Ridge FHC, (6317 4th Avenue), 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., featuring screenings for blood pressure, glucose, and HIV.
– Medical Home Health Fair, hosted by Brooklyn-Chinese FHC and Family Physician FHC (location: the Rainbow Playground, 6th Avenue, between 55th and 56th Streets), from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Information and screenings for blood pressure, glucose, dental and HIV.
– Medical Home Health Fair, hosted by Sunset Terrace FHC (514 49th Street), from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., featuring screenings for depression, HIV Rapid Testing and information focusing on mental illness and safe sex counseling. Advocacy voter registration will be made available.
– Medical Home Health Fair, hosted by Caribbean-American FHC (3414 Church Avenue), 12 p.m. to 4 p.m., featuring screenings for HIV testing and counseling.
Special thanks to HealthPlus Amerigroup for sponsoring our National Health Center Week events.