The Lutheran HealthCare Safety and Emergency Management Department is currently monitoring and tracking Hurricane Sandy. Although the storm's exact path cannot be determined, we are stressing that our community members be prepared. We have developed simple steps and useful resources below to help our neighbors stay safe.
Stay up to Date: As Hurricane Sandy heads to New York it is imperative to be prepared. Stay up to date with the N.Y.C. Office of Emergency Management and review preparedness tips from reliable sources like Ready.gov, the American Red Cross and Ready New York.
Additional preparedness tips:
• Secure or remove any articles in your backyard/frontyard or terrace that could be picked up by the wind. This includes garbage pail covers, furniture and decorations.
• If you have any neighbors that might need some extra help during this time, most especially seniors or those with disabilities, please reach out to them and assist.
• Make sure that you have extra cash on hand and a full tank of gas.
• Prepare a "go bag" and execute a family preparedness plan. Obtain additional food, water sanitation supplies, medicine, batteries and cash. Contact relatives with plans for sheltering or possible evacuation. Make arrangements for pets. Make copies of all important documents and carry them or place them in a secure location away from home. Make a list of all important numbers (insurance policies, driver's license, passport).
Learn more about "go bags" here:
• Please stay inside if you can. If you have to go out during the storm take caution. Note that heavy winds can cause tree limbs or electrical wires to fall.
• Road conditions will be dangerous - do not drive unless you have to. Also remember the less cars on the road the easier it will be for emergency vehicles to get to their destination.
• Clear any debris from catch basins near your property or business to help reduce the possibilities of flooding.
• If you see any conditions that need attention such as downed trees or limbs please call 311 immediately. In an emergency dial 911.
For more news follow Lutheran HealthCare on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn and foursquare:
Twitter - http://twitter.com/LutheranHC
Facebook - http://facebook.com/LutheranHealthCare
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/LutheranHealthcare
LinkedIn - http://tinyurl.com/mycsas
foursquare - http://foursquare.com/lutheranhc